Every year as the Portland Rose Festival opens their CityFair at Tom McCall Waterfront Park, they pull out the most fun the first Friday with music and fireworks. That Friday is today…the 25th. And, it’s all free! Here’s some of our tips for making it the best evening possible.
- Take public transit. You can take the MAX Blue or Red lines to either he Old Town/Chinatown, Skidmore Fountain or Oak Street stations. Since these stations are on 1st Avenue, they’re just a block from Waterfront Park. Otherwise, buses that travel to downtown as well as MAX Green and Yellow trains, will drop you off within walking distance.
- Get there early. Not only to grab the best viewing spots, but there’s live music starting at 6:30 p.m, 8 p.m. and 10:15 p.m. The fireworks start at 10 p.m. and usually go for a full 10+ minutes.
- Do the brand new Mega Drop ride. Not only do you get some nice views of the city as you ascend 120 feet, but the ultra-quick drop will slam you silly. Thankfully, it has great brakes.
- Join the RogueNation. If you want to eat at the new Rogue CityFair Pub with your family, you need to do it before 7:00 p.m. After that, it’s adults only.
- Even better music on Saturday. If you don’t care about the fireworks and want to catch the best music this year, come back tomorrow night and see our favorites Curtis Salgado, Patrick Lamb and Linda Hornbuckle. It’ll be the best $5 you paid for live music.