As the forecast for the weekend illustrates (90 degrees and sunshine!), summer isn’t over yet for 2011. But if you’re feeling that the imminent return to school and football season means the season has passed you by, let us help revive your summer spirit with these fun to-do suggestions:
- Go to the last zoo concert tomorrow, 7 PM Saturday August 27 to see Huey Lewis and the News. Tickets are $39 at http://www.oregonzoo.org/Concerts/.
- The 14th Annual Vancouver Wine and Jazz Festival (today thru Sunday, Aug. 28) at Esther Short Park, just over the I-5 bridge from Portland. Details and tickets at http://www.vancouverwinejazz.com/
- There are three more Concerts in the Parks, starting tonight at Elizabeth Caruthers Park (3508 SW Moody Ave) with the Blues Cranes at 6 PM. Wednesday, August 31 there are two more – Hillstomp (bucket & slide rock) at Dawson Park (N. Stanton between Williams & Vancouver) at 6:30 PM, and The Midnight Serenaders (vintage jazz-age swing) at Ventura Park (SE 115 Ave & Stark) at 6:00 PM. All shows are FREE. http://www.portlandonline.com/parks/index.cfm?c=52644
- Buy fresh fruits and veggies at the your local Farmer’s Market, such as the Portland Farmer’s Market at Pioneer Courthouse Square on Mondays from 10-2, or in the Park Blocks near Portland State University on Saturdays from 8:30am-2:00pm. Or find your local farmer’s market at http://www.portlandfarmersmarket.org/index.php/markets/portland-metro/
- Take an award-winning walking tour, of course! Why not taste some of those delicious, fresh, local fruits and veggies on our delectable Epicurean Excursion, smell the roses (and hear the scandals) on our Roses Gone Wild! tour, or take one of our four other regularly-scheduled tours?
So don’t fret. Get your back-to-school shopping done, but then take a few minutes to enjoy the summer. It’s far from over.