Tours: Best of Portland
Discover Portland the green and eco-friendly way. This award-winning walk clarifies why Portland is regularly recognized as one of the best places to live. By the end of our walk, you'll want to move here too. You’ll hear about early and modern Portland as your guide shows you an enlightened city rich with artwork, parks, bridges, downtown trains & streetcars, fountains and friendly people. Even locals are amazed and entertained by what they learn. This walk meanders through the most fascinating portions of the city, leading eventually to the waterfront.
This tour earned us the Best Tour from Citysearch and Willamette Week’s award for “Best Way to Fake Being a Native.” And don’t forget the camera for your shot of the world’s smallest park! When the City of Portland and Travel Portland want to show off the city, they send people on this tour. Come see why.
Not only is it fun, but many consider it to be the best tour value in Portland.
Fall/Winter: Daily at 10 AM
Check our complete schedule for additional dates and times.
Meet your guide under Pioneer Square (701 SW 6th Ave at Yamhill St) indoors at the Theater Under The Square.How do I get there?
About 2 hours
Less than 1 ½ miles (no hills, no steps)
This tour often sells out on weekends and buying tickets online guarantees your spot. Walk-ups are welcome only if tickets are still available.
Prices and Buy Tickets Now
Prices (always without ticketing fees and sales tax)
- $23 Adults (Buy now to unlock frequent online sale prices)
- $18 Senior (65 & up) and Youth (11-17)
- $9 Child (5-10)
- $0 Tots
Other Tour Dates
Sights you'll see
Just some of the things you'll see include:
- the actual penny flipped to name the city
- bronze drinking fountains from 1912
- the inside story of our 11 bridges
- a weather machine that most locals know nothing about
- over 30 public art pieces (including Portlandia)
- a controversial, naked, marble statue with some unique nicknames
- designated Skateboard lanes (yes, you read that right)
- the inside scoop on coffee, beer, and rain
- a fountain that changes every 20 minutes
- something that appears to be an Elk
- the inside secrets of Portlandia
- a few free electric car charging stations
- why the official city motto is "The City that Works"
- the highlights of a Quirky Portland tour
- and a lot more!
These are the things you'll discover with us:
- Livability and Sustainability - what this truly means to someone who lives or visits here
- Urban Planning & Design - why our unique downtown feels like a European city
- Alternative forms of transportation - How the city got built around people and not the automobile.
- Public Art and the Percent for Art Program - Did you know that buildings have to set aside 2% of their budget for public art?
- Portland's Urban Green Spaces, Parks, and Gardens - If it rains, it must be green.
- Early Portland - We won't bore you with a history lesson!
Reviews & Kudos
- "I am amazed by all the public art that I walk by all the time and have never seen before. Seriously."
- - The Oregonian , A & E
- "Listen to the origins of the neighborhood you moved to years before it was trendy. And don't be surprised if you actually learn something, Smartypants."
- - Willamette Week, Best of Portland awards
- "Not only did we locals learn something, we were entertained with our guide's non-stop commentary and good humor. Our two plus hours were very well spent."
- - Elizabeth Mitchell, about.com, Portland, Oregon USA
- "We've lived in Oregon for 13 years and learned more about Portland in 2 hours than in the last 13 years. We're sold on walking tours!"
- - Robin & Larry Frazier, Klamath Falls, Oregon USA
- "...very enthusiastic and knowledgeable guide. It unlocked the Secrets of Portlandia for me."
- - Grace Koh, Merritt, B.C. Canada
- "The tour was awesome. I'm a native, but I had no idea our city was full of so many interesting stories."
- - Gregory Haines, Portland, Oregon USA